Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Fleet is Here!


Hey!

I've told a few people that I'm getting a little burned out with the planning process. Think about it - I've been doing this since January! And it seems like a lot of the things that had to be done - had to be done a couple of times each. Well, there are those moments of triumph! And today - another!

Yes! YAY! The FLEET is HERE! The last 4 Segways came from Segway LA today. Look them up - http://www.segway.la/ These people are amazing! They have done all they can to make this trip happen and they deserve some business! If you're anywhere NEAR Santa Monica / LA - you have GOT to visit their shop (see Sponsor Page) and talk with them. They have been so involved with this trip I feel horrible that we had to change the plans that we had to leave from Los Angeles. I really want to meet these people! Maybe when I come back, huh?

So here they are - lined up and plugged in and just WAITING for August 2 - a little less than two weeks away. I'm ready NOW! Enough planning - let's GO!

I know - there's a few more things that need to happen before departure, so here's the latest.

* The RV is set and ready! We need to fill water tanks, LP tanks and gas tanks (ouch) and then I need to get it packed with the beds made and dishes put away. Sounds pretty domestic huh! But, since we'll be stopping at Wal-Mart almost every day, I'm not too concerned about forgetting something.

* The trailer is complete with tracking for the tie-downs and an anchor for the generator, a custom made hitch and even a new exhaust vent on the roof so that we can run the generator while we're moving. It was delivered to Midwest SignTech yesterday so I can't WAIT to see what the graphics will look like!

* I've been practicing and - - - - I'm gonna' get sore!

* I'm hoping that I'll have a run with my sister and her family sometime this week. Last time, it was the experiment of 2. This time, a group experiment - 5! Watch out!

* Took a trip through town last Friday to deliver SOS Announcements to TV stations and the newspaper. No activity from the media as of today but they haven't heard the last of me yet! I'll be calling again soon! Had a little scare though. Well, not so much "scare" as "panic", I suppose. It was windy. I mean WINDY! I took the new machine and figured the route to be only 15 miles - should be a piece of cake. But wind has an effect other than being chilly and sending little pieces of (fill in the blank) into my eyes while moving. It uses up battery juice - - - BIG TIME! Got half way through the route and I was down to a couple of bars on the meter. Turned around for home and crossed my fingers that I'd make it before they went dead. That's the last thing I needed was to have one of the TV stations follow me out the door and watch me tip over or just as bad, PUSHING the Segway home. It was a successful arrival however, so there are no embarrassments to report.
*
*
*
You're disappointed arent' you!?!?! Don't despair - we have 2500 + miles to go. It might be weird, but I have this strange feeling that perhaps, during the next couple of months, there just MIGHT be another story or two! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment