Thursday, July 2, 2009

30 DAYS!!!

Will you LOOK at that! My calendar says July 2 which means that the SOS TOUR 2009 begins to make its way across a nice little piece of the country in just 30 days! I am excited! (and a little nervous, too – gotta’ tell the truth, I suppose).

So what’s been going on? I’m just going to highlight a few things right now. Yesterday I sent an email blast to about 100 and it was four pages long. I’ll spare the blog followers. But, I’ll start with things that have happened since I wrote yesterday's update already!

Check the StandUp For Kids website! http://www.standupforkids.org. We’re there now – in full color WITH our new SOS logo designed by Midwest Signtech of Rochester. These people are amazing. I won’t stop talking about them! Get used to it.

TEXT TO DONATE! It’s ready (mostly). Here’s how this little gadget will work. Let’s say you want to make a $5.00 donation to StandUp For Kids. All you do is send a text from your cell. Send the message ‘SOS’ to 85944 and you are done! You’ve just donated five bucks and it only took a second. Everything has been approved with the exception of Verizon. I’m sure they’ll come through for us (I have Verizon and I’m going get a little pushy pretty soon). But if you’ve got Sprint or T-Mobile or something it should work just fine. The donation is always $5 by the way. But you can text every day if you want J

We now have a pretty firm route schedule. (on SOS website soon)

We have the outline for the Ride-a-Long (RAL) Events and for the Taste of Segway events. Work needs to be done here but as we get the approvals, they will be posted on the website, in the blog and on Facebook. Yes – on Facebook! (search segwayoffthestreets@gmail.com)
Still experimenting with Twitter –more later!

OrthoAthletic – We’re on their newsletter! THANKS! I just can’t imagine nicer people! I hope I get the chance to meet them personally one of these days!

We now have a complete list of non-emergency phone numbers for the route so that we can contact police departments as we arrive. We don’t want to break any rules. As a matter of fact, I just found out that in Chicago, I am allowed to ride on the sidewalk (as in most cases) but here in the Windy City I can’t go any faster than 8 mph. After traveling all the way from Minnesota at 12.5mph, I’m gonna’ feel like I could crawl faster!

SOS Tour 2009 business cards have been ordered and will be here in a couple of weeks.

Next week I will complete the order for the last 4 Segways to be delivered by mid-month.

A new contest is in place! “Name the Segway”. This will also be posted on the SOS website shortly, but if you want a head-start, go to http://www.firstgiving.org/michaeltaylor3. Make a donation in the amount of $25 or more and in the comment section, type Submit “the name you want people to vote for”. Then tell all your friends that they should vote for your name. They go to the same site and donate $1.00 for each vote and in the comment section they write Vote “the name you want people to vote for”. Easy! Fun! And the owner’s of the top 5 names will get the new Nintendo Wii Fit Plus game with Segway coming out this fall! WE need to raise thousands of dollars for this though – so get going! Check back next week for the link to all of the details.

Well, this isn’t too bad. With 30 days left, I’m sure there will be a lot to say from now on. I’ll keep you posted. Got questions? Email segwayoffthestreets@gmail.com!



http://www.segwayoffthestreets.org shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment