Friday, August 7, 2009

It's Friday and we are scheduled to rest!


But . . . not for long. We're behind nearly 30 miles. So, with a little time off to answer emails and do RV maintenance, we'll be off to "finish" yesterday. Maybe that's OK. We might be encountering a little rain today and it will be our first experience with "wet".


I'm wondering if I was being a little optimistic trying to eat up 80 miles a day. Roads are worse than expected as many have no shoulders or crushed rock shoulders (my apoloties to Iowa -you're not the only one!). That means slower travel or even re-routing as some roads are simply not safe for Segway travel.


Even sidewalks get a little tricky and I'm finding that with years of weather changes, they are many times, in much worse shape than the roads! Some have no curb cuts which means on and off the Segway at every intersection. Speaking of intersections - I'll bet I spend an hour a day waiting for the light to change!


But, the people I meet on those sidewalks are pretty cool. I've had a number of them stop me, ask questions and then donate a couple of bucks. Given the fact that in most cases, I'm by myself on a Segway with no identification to say who I am, it's pretty amazing that people have believed in the cause enough to reach into their pocket. (Writing receipts on a Segway is a pain, though!)


Maybe that's something that I'm personally needing to find on this trip - the open generosity and goodness of people. I get easily disappointed when I don't find it. I know - I just KNOW they're out there!


We're a long way from reaching our goal of $2M. Spread the word about this project where ever you can - please, and . . . . . .


thank you!


(oh,, and the picture? that's from somewhere on the road meant to brighten your day as well as mine!)

1 comment:

  1. Have you thought of wearing T-shirts with really big SOS, logo, etc.?

    ReplyDelete