Friday, August 7, 2009

Still Friday - Day 6







Surprise! Yea, one this morning wasn't enough apparently. We were on the road at 12:30 (those of you monitoring the tracking system on this website already know that) and we experienced rain start to finish. It definately goes a little slower with showers. The shoulders are slanted downward in order to carry the runoff from the street and they do a good job. It makes it a little tougher for the Segway because as the shoulders are doing their job, the water collects in puddles of unknown depth. They "say" you can drown in 6" of water you know.

We are finding that some route modifications are necessary on a daily basis now. Being unfamiliar with the cities going forward, we should expect this. In one case, crossing I94 (I really don't like crossing freeways - the bridges are usually narrow with no where to ride) someone had built a beautiful pathway (pavement, fenced and scenery to boot) which made it a snap. On another similar crossing, however, I reached a place where to go forward was to never move forward again! I re-routed with the BlackBerry and went a couple of miles out of the way but still worth it. For one thing, I'm still here. For another, I ended up rolling on some very interesting bike paths. (pictures attached). See? Even in the rain, there are things that can make a person smile.

I also smiled (inside) while cars were going by. The people inside them (some of them taking pictures) were a bit surprised to see a guy (well, they probably didn't know for sure) gliding along soaking wet on a Segway. I'm sure they thought I was totally out of my mind. Ha! if they only knew!












2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike - I knew the sun wasn't going to last forever, but it's great to see you finding the silver lining in all those clouds. and hopefully as those people show their friends the pictures of that crazy guy, someone might say .. Hey! I saw a TV interview about that guy. Let's donate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rain makes the wild rice soup even better. Better try some :)

    ReplyDelete