Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Last Stop


It feels like it's been a long time since writing - feel like that to you? Well I've been avoiding you for the past couple of days. Pretty rude, huh!


Well, here's the latest information for you as best as I can explain it. On Saturday, we parked at the Walmart on North Ave in Chicago. That's where we had the 1st Taste and you already know about that. As we said goodbye to Chris as this week's RV driver, we said hello to Brent who will be driving this week. The changeover went well and we began our journey again on Sunday morning.


Brent and I determined where the first stop would be for exchanging machines and all went well. It was a scorcher, so I filled up with water bottles again and set off. About a mile later I was navigating around sidewalk construction (construction is everywhere). I found a way through to an empty parking lot which I thought would be a good path to take around the construction. Great! On the grass, over a couple of signs and through a couple of concrete bumper stops and I was beginning to accelerate into the lot on my merry way.


I can't breathe!


No, Really! I can't breathe, I can't talk and I'm on my back. What?! There's a guy running toward me asking if I'm ok. I answer yea, I'm ok. But even I can barely hear my response. Apparently, I convinced him though because he went away. As my breath started to return, I moved around a little bit and although I was sore, I was good. Making the phone call to summon Brent, I checked out the Segway (it survived) and just paced a bit before I saw the RV. Explaining what happened didn't take long.


Apparently, as I was speeding up, one of the wheels got caught on a piece of rebar anchored to the asphalt. Construction crews had removed one of the concrete bumpers but didn't remove the rebar and I totally missed it. Wish it missed me! Grabbing one wheel doesn't stop the other wheel so the Segway must have twisted hard enough to throw me off. The Segway stops when it senses that there is no weight on the pads, so as I left the machine for flight, it dropped like a rock. When I landed, I managed to find the handlebars with the left side of my back. Guess THAT would take anyone's breath away!


Assuming that I must have strained muscles and probably inflicted some serious bruising, I was thinking that it would still be better to keep going - keeping things loose by using them, right?

I continued to finish this next leg going another 14 miles or so - a bit painful, but the show must go on.


At the next stop, I went into the RV to rest a bit and wait for the next machine to get setup. Well, I never left the RV. Sharp and shooting pains prevented me from even walking down the stairs. Man - we're a DAY behind now! But I could tell there would be no more Segway today. We got situated and found an RV park. It was crazy. I felt like I was in some kind of jet propelled vehicle as we started down the highway. I haven't gone faster than 12 miles per hour in over a week. Weird!


So, with typical over the counter meds and ice, we sat back and tried to get the swelling down. Brent took the opportunity to look at some of the RV repairs that were definately needed and got to work diagnosing problems and solutions. (leak under the bathroom faucet, low water pressure or none at all, connections to city water, water pump, television install and more.)


Getting out of bed on Monday morning revealed that the sharp pains were not going to go away. I must have done something more than I wanted to admit. We found an urgent care center in Tinley Park and x-rays were taken. The picture shows you where the devestating news was shared. It was the last stop. I apparently had chosen a nice rib in the middle of my back to be my very first broken bone.


The Doctor said it was a clean break and the pieces were lined up well for healing with an estimated completion date of 3 to 6 weeks from now. They will not wrap them as it is important that full breaths can be taken frequently (painfully) in order to discourage pneumonia. Asking about what we could do to continue this event, I was told that to continue would mean: The probability that air would encourage infections, the probability that recovery time would be extended well beyond original estimates and the real possibility that while enduring the continual jarring created by Segway wheels on imperfect roadways, lung puntures. I don't know about you, but that doesn't sound too good. In fact, to continue would be irresponsible.


I've avoided you because to write of the cancellation of this event is (still) emotional. I comfort myself with the idea that it wasn't my choice - that I didn't just 'quit'. I comfort myself with the idea that soon, this project will be resurrected in some form. This trip has provided a significant amount of very worthwhile information regarding things that work, things that don't work and ideas to make the next phase much better. An idea is surfacing that would provide an opportunity for many more people to participate thus creating the ability for this one-man idea to grow into something much bigger than just my desire to do this. I've realized that it isn't about me - it's about the project, and I think that's a pretty healthy attitude!


At the same time, I feel that I am disappointing so many people. There are those who jumped in with both feet and did everything possible to help make this reality. There are those who made donations (it IS a good cause - the donations will be well spent) but I know they "stretched" beyond what they would normally have done - because they know and believed in me. I struggle with this - every minute, and I apologize. Just know that we've reached an impasse for now but we are scouting the work-around and that Plan C will be better than Plan B which was better than Plan A. We're improving.


I have to remind myself that this really hasn't been done like this before. We are pioneering new ground. Perfection can't be expected overnight. And then, of course, I DID ride a Segway from Rochester, MN to Tinley Park, IL (almost Indiana!). That's nice to say - until one of my amazing "followers" points out - - - who would even 'want' to do that?

Appreciating your patience, support and understanding and knowing that you are truly the best of all good people out there, I look forward to continuing this blog in the days to come with some great news!

m








3 comments:

  1. well I sure hope you know that everyone is still pulling for you and just as proud as ever. Please update the blog lots with the current plans, thoughts, decisions, indecisions, re-decisions, etc so we can all see where we might be able to help out. Don't wait until everything is set in concrete (with or without rebar).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, ditto to Bill's post. I am so sorry this happened to you, I can't imagine the pain of a broken rib.
    I left VM the other day...must have been my "psychic radar".
    We serve a very peculier God, His ways are higher than ours - obviously.
    I too, await the next chapter, uncensored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes Sir, this would indeed be an emotional tornado inside you i can soooo imagine, as i have tears filling up as i read. I can relate in a weird way, different way maybe. BUT, we MUST get this going again if you want! MUST! HAVE TO! If there is anything we can do to help please please let us know. We would love to participate in the pain and hard parts :-))! Man Mike, i am speechless my friend.

    ReplyDelete